What is IP surveillance?
IP surveillance is a digitized and networked version of closed-circuit television (CCTV). In an IP surveillance system, an IP camera records video footage and the resulting content is distributed over an IP (Internet protocol) network.
Digitization offers a number of benefits over traditional analog CCTV. including:
- Improved search capability.
- Greater ease of use.
- Better quality images and no degradation of content over time.
- The ability to record and play simultaneously.
- The ability to compress content for improved storage.
Adding networking capability to digital CCTV provides additional benefits, including:
- Improved ability for remote viewing and control. Anyone on the network can potentially see video from any camera connected to the network.
- IP storage makes it possible to store data in any geographic location.
- Greater ease of distribution. An image of a crime suspect, for example, can be immediately distributed to officials.
- The ability to connect to email and other communications systems so that alerts can be sent automatically.
There is a growing industry trend towards replacing analog CCTV with IP surveillance systems.
Learn More About IT:
This Motorola white paper discusses the benefits of IP surveillance.
Barbara Darrow writes about the opportunity IP surveillance creates for VARs .
This was last updated in May 2009
cloud computing Cloud computing is a general term for the delivery of hosted services over the internet. See complete definition SUSE Manager SUSE Manager is an open source infrastructure management tool for Linux systems. See complete definition virtual desktop A virtual desktop is a computer operating system that does not run directly on the endpoint hardware from which a user accesses. See complete definition
Join the conversation
Your password has been sent to:
By submitting you agree to receive email from TechTarget and its partners. If you reside outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. Privacy
Please create a username to comment.
AnonymousUser – 3 Oct 2012 9:21 PM
yes with ip surveillance we can prevent major cyber crime but to prevent physically crime there is need of a href= http://www.acesecuritysolutions.com CCTV Camera Delhi /a
AnonymousUser – 24 Apr 2013 4:40 AM
Here is an article on how to select a surveillance camera.