Feb 15 2019


#the, #family, #court, #of, #east, #baton, #rouge, #parish, #has, #jurisdiction, #over, #divorces, #community, #property, #division, #spousal, #support, #child, #visitation, #child #custody, #child #support, #and, #domestic #violence


Self-Help Resources

It is always best to have an attorney to represent you in court, especially as it affects your children and your finances. If you cannot afford an attorney, you may check to find legal service providers in your area. If you are representing yourself, please consult the following resources for legal information.

Please be advised that the following information is not considered legal advice. This page has been prepared for general information purposes only. Legal advice depends on the specific facts of each situation, and some information in this website may not be correct for where you are. The information on this website cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in your state.

Along with this Court Guide. the following videos will give you information about what to expect in court and basic court rules and procedures.

The Self-Help Resource Center

The Self-Help Resource Center (SHRC) is open from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays on the Fourth Floor of the Nineteenth Judicial District Courthouse, located at 300 North Boulevard, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Volunteer attorneys and law students staff the SHRC and provide a number of services to self-represented litigants including assistance with court forms, access to case information, and answers to general questions about the legal system. Thanks to the service and support of the volunteer staff, the Louisiana State Bar Association awarded the SHRC the 2013 Friend of Pro Bono Award given by the Louisiana State Bar Association.

The SHRC volunteers provide legal information but cannot provide legal representation in court or legal advice. The SHRC volunteers may only assist with providing limited information and documents concerning your legal issue. The SHRC volunteers may assist with both sides in cases. Services at the SHRC are provided in an open room with others present, so there is no expectation of confidentiality concerncing any matter discussed. All SHRC users will be required to sign a disclosure statement indicating the terms of use of the SHRC.

  • THIRST FOR JUSTICE CLINICS are open 3:00 p.m. 5:00 p.m. on Wednesdays Thursdays and are held at the St. Vincent de Paul Center off of Florida Boulevard, located at 220 St. Vincent de Paul Place.
  • ASK A LAWYER CLINICS are held on 3 days a month at various locations in the Baton Rouge area. For more information, call 225-344-4803 or visit the Baton Rouge Bar Association website at .
  • THE LOUIS A. MARTINET LEGAL SOCIETY hosts a clinic 1:00 p.m. 3:00 p.m. on Thursdays at the Leo S. Butler Center, located at 950 E. Washington Street. For more information, call 225-389-4860.
  • SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA LEGAL SERVICES may provide legal representation in certain cases or may provide a pro bono lawyer referral if you qualify. For more information, call 225-448-0080.
  • THE LOUISIANA CIVIL JUSTICE CENTER has a legal hotline which provides legal advice, information, and answers to questions about family law issues. For more information, call 1-800-310-7029. You may also get help online at .

Forms for East Baton Rouge Parish Family Court

The following form packets are available for use in The Family Court of East Baton Rouge Parish. Each of the form packets provided below have a set of instructions that go with the forms. When using these forms, make sure that you read and follow the instructions carefully.

If you have questions or need assistance filling out the forms, please visit the SHRC in person. The forms offered by the SHRC may not be applicable to your situation. If you use the forms provided, it is important that you understand the legal burden necessary to obtain relief you are seeking. If you do not state a valid cause of action, your pleading may dismissed at your cost. If you have legal questions, you should consult with an attorney.

  • 103 Divorce Process Chart – A chart to explain the steps to obtaining a divorce.
  • No Fault Divorce (with minors) – These forms are to obtain a divorce based on living separate and apart from your spouse if you have children under the age of 18 with your spouse. With instructions .
  • No Fault Divorce (no minors) – These forms are to obtain a divorce based on living separate and apart from your spouse if you have no children under the age of 18 with your spouse. With instructions .
  • Domestic Violence Divorce – These instructions are for a divorce based on a domestic violence protective order or an injunction that has been issued against your spouse to protect you or your children from abuse. With instructions .


  • Forms to Modify Child Support – These forms are to request a change in a child support order. With instructions .
  • Forms to Establish Custody – These forms are to help you establish a custody order for the first time. With instructions .
  • Forms to Modify Custody – These forms are used to modify an existing custody order. With instructions .
  • Contempt Forms – These forms are used to allege that someone is not complying with a custody order issued by the court. With instructions .
  • Motion to Reset – This form is used to reset matters on the Court s docket.
  • Long Arm Service Affidavit – This form is required when using long arm service for out of state defendants. With a chart .
  • Pauper Form – This form is used to ask the court to allow you to file pleadings without prepaying court costs. With instructions .
  • Forms to Appoint Attorney – This form is used to ask the court to appoint an attorney to represent someone who is absent or cannot be located. With instructions .

There are many resources available for self-represented litigants online. It may be useful for you to consult with these resources to get more information about what it means to represent yourself in court. The following links are provided as aids to help you identify and locate other resources and are not intended to state or imply that we sponsor or are affiliated with the persons or entities who created such sites or services.

  • LSBA Guide to Representing Yourself in Court
  • Louisiana State Bar Association
  • Law Library of Louisiana
  • Louisiana Law Help
  • Louisiana District Judges Association
  • Video on Child Support and Paternity

Written by INCOME

%d bloggers like this: