1. DO NOT COMPLETE THIS FORM UNTIL YOU HAVE A FIRM JOB OFFER.
*You must be connected to a printer prior to beginning this process or, you must have the ability to save the Youth Employment Certificate to print later.
2. Pop-up blockers must be TURNED OFF.
3. Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 or higher is REQUIRED to display and print the YEC. If needed, the program can be downloaded by clicking this link:
4. Youth working for their parents MUST get a YEC before they start to work.
- Complete the application screens identified below. This process works best when completed at the employer s location to ensure accuracy of job descriptions and ABC permit requirements.
- The completed YEC must be signed by the youth, parent and employer in order to be valid.
Screen 1: Requests information on the youth, proposed employer and business type.
Screen 2: Requests a response regarding the employer s ABC permit status for most business types. This is a required field; however, a YES response applies mostly to restaurants and country clubs where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed on the premises.
Screen 3: Displays job restrictions by age groups and requests selection of proposed employment.
Screen 4: Displays information entered for review prior to printing.
- Error messages or questions should be addressed to a program assistant at (919) 807-2796 ( Raleigh ) or toll-free (N.C. only) 1-800-NC-LABOR (1-800-625-2267). Our call center is open Monday through Friday.
How to Handle Completed Certificates:
- Completed and signed certificates must be given to the employer on or before the first day of work.
- The employer must verify the youth s age, proposed job duties and any restrictions noted on the certificate.
- The certificate must be maintained by the employer for two years after employment ends or until age 20, as appropriate.
Revised June 28, 2007
- Before you complete the Youth Employment Certifcate you MUST be connected to a printer.