#school loan consolidation
Loan consolidation allows student loan borrowers to combine their federal student loans into a Federal Direct Consolidation Loan. The following types of loans may be consolidated:
- Federal Direct Loans
- Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans
- Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans
- Federal Perkins Loans
- Federal Health Professions Loans
- Federal Nursing Student Loans
- Federal Loans previously consolidated
- Federal Graduate PLUS Loans
- Federal Parent PLUS Loans (can only be consolidated by the parent who borrowed the loan)
Alternative/Private Education Loans cannot be consolidated with federal student loans.
Forgiveness and cancellation benefits on some loans may be lost when the loans are consolidated. Please contact your loan holder for information on how consolidation will impact your loan benefits.
To apply for loan consolidation, contact the Direct Loan Program or complete the online application. Be sure to list all loans that you want to consolidate on your application. For a complete list of your outstanding federal student loans, log in to the Financial Aid Review page on the National Student Loan Data System .