Free early childhood education courseware collections
For early childhood educators, taking the time to enroll in and attend extra classes to learn new skills can be too time consuming. These open courseware classes allow early childhood educators and administrators to learn more about their specialized field and develop new teaching styles that benefit their young students, without having to pay for workshops or study on a pre-set schedule. Most of these open courseware resources explore the role of parents in early childhood education, emphasizing the importance of encouraging parents to educate their students at home, as well as taking them to school. Teachers learn to work with parents of pre-school children and toddlers to reinforce the instruction and skills received at school.
Classes in this collection include Parents as Partners; Parents and Toddlers: Teaching and Learning at Home; and Play, Learning and the Brain, giving early childhood educators and administrators an overview of the different open courseware resources available online. These classes cover topics like how outdoor play affects learning, brain-based learning, learning at home, learning through music, and more. Courses are offered through The Open University, the Connexions network, and Utah State University. Additional resources found through these courses include articles and references like “Put-Down Free Environment,” “Homework Record,” “Toilet Training Record,” and “25 Ways to Help Your Child Succeed in School.” Other subjects covered include time-out discipline methods, parent-child relationships, peer relationships and more.
- Parents as Partners [The Open University] – Learn how parents play a strong role in early childhood education in this course.
- Parents and Toddlers: Teaching and Learning at Home [The Open University] – Understand “how children’s early experiences with their parents/caregivers, siblings and peers contribute to the learning of new skills and problem-solving techniques.”
- Play, Learning and the Brain [The Open University] – Topics covered include brain-based learning, play and learning, outdoor play and learning, and more.
- Power of Positive Parenting [Utah State University] – Parents learn the skills they need to raise responsible, educated children.
- Music Travels for Children [Connexions] – Elementary school teachers and early childhood educators can learn new teaching methods and ideas for lesson plans in this music class.