#car insurance california
What is One-Day Temporary Car Insurance?
For many individuals, there is nothing more confusing or frustrating than trying to decide on the type of car insurance coverage you need and the company to purchase it from. Most drivers will usually insure their vehicles for 6 months or a year at a time. But what if you don’t a policy that is valid for that length of time? You may need to insure your vehicle for only a week or just 24 hours.
You’re already challenged as it is when you are shopping for auto insurance in California as it is, but when you are looking for one-day or temporary coverage, it can further complicate the issue. But even after a rigorous Google search, you’ll be challenged to find an answer to the question, “can I find California one-day temporary insurance?” However, the only response we can offer is “maybe.”
What is One-Day or Temporary Car Insurance ?
In the simplest of terms, it is a short term car insurance option that provides you with the same coverage (based on what you pay for) as your regular auto insurance policy. In most cases, California car insurance policies are valid for 6 or 12 months whereas the term of a one-day temporary insurance policy is valid for a much shorter period of time. You can even buy coverage for 24 hours if that is all you need.
There are several reasons for purchasing a short-term auto insurance policy. The two most common reasons are:
• You are borrowing the vehicle from a family member or friend and will only be using it for a week or less. Or you have rented the vehicle from a car rental company or dealer.
• You haven’t decided on what permanent insurance policy to purchase or you are only going to keep the vehicle you just purchased for a short time.
Additionally, there is nothing listed in California state insurance and traffic codes prohibiting the sale of short-term car insurance. This has never been the problem. The problem with one-day temporary insurance coverage is that it’s difficult to find a major carrier that offers it. In fact, there are very few insurance companies that will sell you a short-term auto insurance policy. So be sure that you research this before you start shopping.
Purchasing One-Day Car Insurance
After researching several auto insurance companies, you should have at least a short list (5 or 6 names) of companies that sell one-day temporary car insurance. As you compare them one-by-one, make sure you do the following:
• Gather all of your personal information – each insurance agent that you speak with will ask you for certain relevant information. This includes your family member’s or friend’s name; the make, model, and year of their vehicle; your driving record; and your personal information.
• Get quotes over the internet – not only is this more convenient than going from agent to another, it is quick and easy as well. You can use any of the major search engines to do this. There are a number of websites now that let you compare multiple companies and price quotes across the board.
• Research the websites of the companies that offer one-day car insurance – this will provide you with an opportunity for additional research and price comparisons.
• Make an appointment to speak with each insurance company’s agent – be sure to have a list of questions to ask each one when you are meeting with them. If your current agent does not offer this type of short-term insurance, he or she will probably know which companies in your area do.
• Choose the insurance company, pay them what is required, and get your proof of insurance card – once you are satisfied with your research and have made your decision all that is left to do is pay the premium amount that is required and have them issue you your insurance ID and proof of insurance card.
The main thing you want to remember is that you may need to exhibit a lot of patience when you are search for one-day temporary car insurance. so don’t get discouraged. It is always better to be safe than sorry, and that is why it is so important to have your bases covered and make a well-informed decision.