Cheap Car Insurance New Jersey
Despite the high cost of living, there are plenty of options for cheap car insurance New Jersey agents can offer. It pays to shop around, especially in such a densely populated state.There are nearly 8 million registered vehicles in New Jersey as of 2016, with a quarter million traffic accidents, 525 of which were fatal. The average annual cost for auto insurance is $1,608 (or $134/month) as of December, 2016.
Around 11% of drivers in New Jersey are uninsured, resulting in higher than average insurance premiums. If you are caught driving without insurance you will face a fine between $300 and $1,000, a period of community services, and loss of your driver s license for one year. New Jersey hopes that these stiff penalties will help lower the rate of uninsured drivers, and ultimately help consumers by lowering auto insurance rates.
- New Jersey is the 11th most populous state in the nation, but the most densely populated in the nation.
- 180 million years ago, during the Jurassic Period, New Jersey shared a border with North Africa.
- The first Miss America Pageant was held in 1921 in Atlantic City.
- The first drive-in movie was shown in Camden in 1933!
- The largest industries in the state are pharmaceuticals, financials, chemical development, and telecommunication.
- It is illegal to slurp your soup in New Jersey.
- It is against the law to frown at a police officer.
- It is illegal for men to knit during the fishing season.
Motor Vehicle Commission
The New Jersey MVC s website is built to help consumers renew their drivers licenses, register their vehicles, and prepare for licensing exams (among other services). You can also change your address online, order your motor vehicle report, and pay registration fees and traffic fines.
For a list of local MVC offices, click here.
According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving, there were 164 drunk driving fatalities in 2012 (representing 28% of all total traffic deaths). In 2013, there were over 24,000 DUI arrests in the state.
- $230-$400 fine
- Over $500 in other fees
- $1,000/year license surcharge
- 90-day license suspension
- Up to 30 days in jail, and 12-48 hours of Community Service.
The Bottom Line
As with most states, New Jersey s auto insurance rates are most affected the DUI and uninsured motorist rates. However, the population density (which is much higher than most states) is a huge factor as well. Many residents commute to and from the cities, or across into New York, and with that many drivers on the road each day, the risk of traffic accidents increases exponentially.
All the more reason to make sure you are always paying the cheapest rate! With so many companies competing for your business, now is a great time to call an agent! A licensed professional can guide you through the buying process and ensure that you are paying the cheapest rates available. Call us at the number above, or check out one of our local pages for a list of agents in your area.