California’s Low Cost Auto Insurance Program
About California’s Low Cost Automobile Insurance Program
California Law requires that all drivers of vehicles within the State maintain evidence of financial responsibility. California’s Low Cost Automobile Program (CLCA) was established by the Legislature in 1999 and exists pursuant to California Insurance Code Section 11629.7 as a program designed to provide income eligible persons with liability insurance protection at affordable rates as a way to meet California’s financial responsibility laws.
However, too many income eligible drivers remain uninsured because the costs of standard insurance premiums are beyond their financial reach. Learn about affordable solutions that may help protect you, your friends, family and other drivers on the road.
Effective January 01, 2015 a new law, SB 1273 passed by the Governor on September 19, 2014, provides an exception to the three-year continuously licensed requirement to allow drivers with less than 3 years verifiable driving experience to participate in the program and increased vehicle values from $20,000 to $25,000. For more information on the CLCA program please visit: www.mylowcostauto.com .
CLCA important links:
- Reports to the Legislature and Consumer Education and Outreach Plans
- CLCA Tip Card (PDF)
- Cost of CLCA Insurance Rates Sheet by County 201 7
- Cost of CLCA Optional Rates Sheet 201 7
- Good Driver Definition (PDF)
- Applicant Income Eligibility Requirement (PDF)
- Request CLCA Tip Cards to be mailed to your organization.
- Invite CEOB to your outreach event or meeting!
- If you have a question about the CLCA program, send us an e-mail!
The Department of Insurance welcomes the opportunity to provide a CLCA expert to speak at your community events. To obtain information cards and materials check out our program materials by viewing our order form. If you have any questions about this program, please do not hesitate to contact us!
300 S. Spring Street, South Tower