California Boat Insurance
Whether you own a mega-yacht in Los Angeles, jet-ski on Lake Tahoe, or a schooner in San Francisco, boating in California is one of the most exciting activities in the Golden State. NBOA Marine Insurance, a leader in boat and yacht insurance, understands boating in CA presents a unique set of dangers and perils unlike any other state. For this reason, California boaters need a customized boat insurance policy to protect against fires, earthquakes, freezing and ice damage, rock damage, and much more. Please take some time to consider some aspects to California boat insurance.
- Most policies include liability coverage which includes protection for your passengers and liability for water sports activities. Damage to furniture, the hull, sails, and machinery are generally covered by boat owners insurance.
- Navigation limited may be restricted to a certain area of California, so if you’re planning to make an extended trip, be sure your navigation is met. Also, Mexico or Canada navigation may be added to your boat policy.
- Ice and freezing damage can be a big concern, especially in Northern CA. Check your policy to make sure damage from this peril is covered.
- In some cases, damage from ice and freezing may be excluded if your vessel is not properly winterized
- Tsunamis can also be a cause for concern. Although most polices will cover damage resulting in a tsunami, it is important to check your policy.
- A credit may apply if your boat is laid-up for the winter months. The longer the layup, the greater the credit.
- Extended trips to Alaska, Hawaii, and other areas can be added, depending on the type of vessel.
- Sailboat owners receive credit because sailboats are not as hazardous as speed boats.
- Some carriers put an age minimum on insuring a boat, which is usually 20 years old.
- A separate deductible may be required for a sailboat mast, especially if the mast is carbon fiber. Carbon fiber is lighter and stronger, but in the case of an accident it usually must be replaced completely.
- For skiers, be sure waterskiing is not an excluded coverage on your policy.
- High-Speed or go-fast boats present a greater risk, so they are subject to a different set of underwriting guidelines. In most cases, the maximum speed for such vessels is 120MPH.
Boating in California is one of the most exciting and pleasurable activities. If it’s sun you’re looking for, or you’d rather brave the wind up north, California has something for everyone. As you can see, boating in California also presents its own set of things to watch for. NBOA Marine Insurance wants you and your family to be fully protected so you can enjoy your time on the water. For more information on California boat insurance. or to request a quote, please contact one of our friendly marine insurance professionals at 1-800-248-3512 or fill out an online boat insurance request here.
CELEBRATING 25 YEARS AS ONE OF THE NATION’S TOP INSURANCE PROVIDERS!