On May 7, Afghan security forces launched a counter-offensive in the northern province of Baghlan to retrieve areas recently-captured by the Taliban.
The Afghan Ministry of Defense said that special forces had been deployed in the capital of Baghlan, Pul-e-Khumri. The forces are now working to retrieve several areas, which fell into the hands of Taliban militants in the last few days.
Shafiullah Mohammadi, a special forces commander in Baghlan, told the TOLO News that security forces have “pushed back” Taliban attacks in the district of Baghlan-e-Markazi as well as in the Dahana-e-Ghori area on the outskirts of Pul-e-Khumri.
“The enemy has had 100 casualties in the fight against the national police, the NDS [National Directorate of Security], and the army forces,” Mohammadi said. “Their casualties have increased with the arrival of the commando forces last night and the operation will continue.”
A day earlier, Taliban militants imposed control of the Shahr-e Kohna region in Baghlan-e Markazi after overrunning two checkpoints of Afghan security forces.
According to local officials, the highways connecting Baghlan with the provinces of Takhar and Kunduz in northern and northeastern Afghanistan have been closed to traffic for the last two days due to clashes.
The Taliban’s large-scale offensive in Baghlan was launched following the announcement of a US plan to pull all troops out from Afghanistan by September 11.
© 2007-2020, All Rights Reserved Ukraine|Algeria|Egypt|Libya|Morocco|News|WarAfghan Security Forces Launched Counter-Offensive In Baghlan To Halt Taliban Advance