Aug 11 2019

Income from rental properties (Rental income), rental property.#Rental #property

Rental property

Quick links

Supporting families


Receiving income

Employing staff

Quick links

GST and income

Keeping records and filing returns

Working with us

Compliance focus

myIR, payments and more

TДЃke moni whiwhi mЕЌ te takitahi

In this section

Individual income tax

Tax rates and tax codes for individuals

How different types of income are taxed

Tax credits (reducing the amount of tax you pay)

What to do at the end of the tax year (31 March)

Filing your income tax return

Refund or tax bill?

Additional information and help

Adjust your income for Working for Families Tax Credits and student loans

Income from rental properties

Paying tax on your rental income

Generally, any income that you receive from renting out property will be liable for income tax, so you must include it in your tax return. This income could be from renting out land or buildings, or it could be income you earn by having private boarders or flatmates living with you.

Rent in advance

If you receive rent in advance, it is taxable in the year in which you receive it. For example, if your tenant paid rent on 30 March 2006 which covers the following two weeks, you must still return this income in the income year 1 April 2005 to 31 March 2006 (if you have a standard 31 March balance date).

Tenancy bond

Amounts received for tenancy bond and passed on to the Tenancy Bond Centre are not income. Amounts received from the Tenancy Bond Centre for payment of damages, rent arrears etc, should be included as income.


The following expenses can be deducted from your rental income:

  • rates and insurance
  • interest paid on money borrowed to finance your property
  • fees or commission paid to agents who collect the rent, maintain your rental, or find tenants for you
  • repairs and maintenance (except if they substantially improve the property)
  • motor vehicle and travel expenses
  • mortgage repayment insurance
  • accounting fees for the preparation of accounts
  • depreciation (but not building depreciation).
  • From the 2011-12 income year, the rate of depreciation on buildings has reduced to 0% if buildings have an estimated useful life of more than 50 years.
  • From the 2013-14 income year new mixed-use asset rules apply to holiday homes to determine the expenses allowed for income tax purposes.

Next steps

For more information on expenses you can claim and expenses you can’t claim, read our Rental income (IR264) booklet.

Written by CIA

Notice: Undefined index: name in /Data/www/remmont.com/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/propellerads-official/includes/class-propeller-ads-anti-adblock.php on line 169
%d bloggers like this: