Your legal rights
Your rights depend on where you buy your car
What you can expect, and where you stand
Wherever you’re buying it s best not to sign anything or hand over any money until you’re absolutely happy there will be other, similar cars available so there’s no need to take the risk if you feel uneasy.
- If you have any doubts about the car or its history then it’s safer not to proceed.
- Even if the law is in your favour, recovering your money through the courts can be expensive and time consuming.
- Your rights will depend on where you buy. You ll have less protection if you buy privately or from an auction compared to buying from a dealer.
- Dealers are generally the safest route to a new car maximum legal protection with the least risk.
- Dealers are obliged to prepare the car before offering it for sale, including verifying the accuracy of the recorded mileage.